Tuesday, January 5, 2016

To Shred or Not to Shred

Consumer Reports published a handy list of documents to shred and to keep.  Much of the information came from the Federal Trade Commission.  I looked for a link but no luck. However, here’s a link to a Consumer Reports article from 2010 that discusses the avalanche of paper we all have: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/03/conquer-the-paper-piles/index.htm.  The FTC recommends we keep our tax returns forever.  News to me!!  So I have shredded the tax documentation from more than 7 years ago but kept the copy of the return. 

I know from personal experience how overwhelmed I can feel when I see piles of receipts, bills, paid invoices, letters, and the paper stuff we accumulate.  Sometimes local government officials will sponsor a shredding day so their constituents can bring a certain number of boxes to a central location for shredding.  A small shredder works for me, however, and I can immediately shred old credit cards, and papers that contain my social security number or credit card number. 

And while we can get lost in a sea of paper, we can send ourselves a life preserver by completing the Vital Information Form.  Once the PDF is downloaded, it is easy to copy and paste it into a Word document that will be user friendly.  The VIF can be located in the blog when viewed in your web browser. 


As winter descends, think “great time to get organized”.  Schedule a date with yourself to clean out drawers and files.  Make room for the new.

Image:  Liz West

No comments:

Post a Comment