Tuesday, March 22, 2016

THE Conversation with my Kids


Through several time zones and plans to occupy the grandchildren, my kids, my husband and I had The Conversation.  Since I had updated my will, I wanted my kids to be aware of the changes and to hear my wishes for my advanced directives.  I have had snippets of conversation with them individually, I thought it was time to get them all together. Yay, Skype!!  With 4 daughters it is hard for me to remember what I told to whom and when.  I was proud of myself for initiating the conversation and for figuring out the technology so we could talk.

Talking about my death is not a new subject to them.  I don’t have any superstitions related to death and dying and I have always been pretty open with them about my thoughts and feelings in general.  What was new was the fact that they were all listening to the same information at the same time.  I knew this had to be a group conversation and not a group email.  When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I sent out an email.  Maybe if group messaging was available then, I would have selected it as the mode of communication though getting my 4 daughters and 3 step daughters together on a call would have been a feat because of their own commitments. 

What is most important it that my kids heard the information, were reassured that I am planning to live at least another 20 years, and they now have a topic of conversation to have between themselves:  “What is mom doing?  How will we know what is best?”  If they really listened, they know that I have taken the decision out of their hands and that I do know what I am doing- I am in control.” 

Have you had similar conversations?  What is holding you back?  Please share your thoughts…we learn from each other.

2 comments:

  1. As one of the daughters present for said Conversation, it was a freeing and relieving experience. I know that the decisions that will be made when the time comes are decisions I know my mom wanted. It takes the pressure off of me and my sisters to try to guess what the best thing do is. There will of course be pain and sadness, but at least I have knowledge that will help support us during that time. The only thing she didn't answer was what do do with the newspaper article that will be released the next day : "Oldest women in the world dies peacefully in her sleep after completing her 15th triathlon"....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see...each daughter should get a copy of the story for their own use. And they will hand it down to their children and on and on. Thanks, Phe. All we as parents can do is try to be good role models.

      Delete