Tuesday, March 15, 2016

LifeLong Learning

Want to talk to a lawyer about a will, advanced directives, power of attorney, etc.? Check out the Osher LifeLong Learning Institute classes on Elder Law. I attended a series several years ago and it fueled my desire to start this blog.  Carol Sikov Gross, Esquire (http://www.sikovandlove.com/) led the class and her handouts were most informative.  The discussion and the individual situations of the students- there were 10 of us- were eye opening.  If you have the opportunity to attend an informational class, seriously think about it.  Well worth the time. 
I remember a woman who was interested in donating her body to science after her death.  It was obvious from the difficulty she had walking that she was experiencing significant medical problems.  She worked all of her life in executive positions and she knew how to take charge of things.  I guess she was in the “information gathering” stage.  And I frequently think of her and wonder what happened to her.  I’ll bet she had all her papers organized, her will and advanced directives completed.  She impressed me as a “doer” not just a talker and thinker. 
I’m still working on my “to do” list.  This isn’t for the faint of heart.  Gathering information, thinking about the future can be overwhelming.  Breaking tasks down into small manageable bites is the best way to motivate myself.  For example, I could have said to myself:  “Self- you need to clean up the office.”  Instead, I said, “Self- you need to clean off your desk.”  Yes, it took me 2 days because of interruptions but the job was accomplished and now I can find things more easily. 


Tell me stories about your family and end of life situations.  Let’s share and learn from each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment