Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Face to Face or via the Internet

Leslie is a hard working psychologist, wife and mother.  She also has a rare autoimmune disease that currently requires a monthly infusion which is done in a hospital.  She actually carries her living will in her purse at all times.  Why?  Because she has educated herself about the progression of her disease and she wants to be in control of her situation.

Leslie told me about a program she has been using for over 20 years-- “Legal Shield”.  I’m not recommending this or any products or services; however since someone I respect uses the company, I thought I would pass on the info.  If you have read my past posts, you know I use a local lawyer.  Leslie, however, uses this company for her will, advanced directives, financial power of attorney, etc.  Check it out at www.legalshield.com.

Getting back to the advanced directives…I recently scheduled shoulder surgery and was asked to bring in my advanced directives.  The intake clerk scanned my document into my medical record.  Take note—even though it is now part of my record at a large medical center, I have been told that I need to bring my advanced directives in each time I have a procedure or surgery because- get this- frequently, the staff cannot locate the document on the computer!  We, as consumers, have to be on top of things.
So keeping a copy of advanced directives in your purse may not be a bad idea.  Not sure where a man would keep his; perhaps on a flash drive on his key ring.

Have you written a will?  What made you do it or what is stopping you from doing it?  Share your thoughts.  If you are reading this on your phone, click to read the post on the web and then you will have space to respond.




No comments:

Post a Comment