Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Insurance Review

If I’m not talking about cleaning, reviewing, organizing and the like, I am thinking about it.  Several weeks ago we received a call from the insurance agent who bought the company from our agent of many years.  He is on a quest to visit all of the clients and to review their coverages.  Lucky for us, he paid us a visit and we were able to delete a few line items, add a few and at the end, we are saving some money and we have greater auto and home coverage. 

One of his stories interested me. Chester is now 80 and has not reviewed his car insurance policy  for 15 years.  When he sat down with the young agent, Chester realized he had been paying for milage that he did not need.  Chester only drives to the grocery story, the doctor and to church.  He no longer drives miles to call on customers.    And Chester's car is the same 2002 car he had when he  talked with his insurance agent in 2002.  Then he needed collision, now, not so much.    As a result of the discussion,  Chester is saving money.

He also suggested that we take photos of each room of the house with particular attention to any item that may be of value so that there could be some record, however accurate it might be, in the event of a fire, flood or theft.  Such a good idea. 

Turning thoughts into action – the most difficult behavior change- is now on my list.  I scheduled a time to use a camera, then upload them to a site and get prints made.  These prints will go into my fireproof safe.  I can also put them on a thumb drive and put that in the safe but in 10 years, the current drives may not be able to be used due to new technology.

I still have to work on getting my family photos in order but his visit spurred me on to take action and create snapshots of my house and my stuff.

If anyone is interested in finding a new insurance agent in Pittsburgh, email me and I will share his contact info.  If not,  call your car/home agent and review your coverage.  You never know what you might learn.


Happy picture taking!!

1 comment:

  1. Good idea... and turning thoughts into action. Another way to preserve those pictures would be to store a copy with someone else and/or in "the cloud". A free service like Dropbox or Google Drive would work.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete