Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Reviewing my own will

After 8 years it was time to review my own will, financial and health care power of attorney.  So off to the lawyer, Dale Frayer (http://www.frayerlaw.com), I went.  A quick review, a few changes, getting some questions answered, and I am feeling so much better about my future.  The next task is to talk with my family and as they are all over the country, we will do it via a computer video chat.

The most important takeaway from this experience is the Conversation with a capital “C”.  I talked with my husband and my lawyer and soon with my kids about how I want the future to look.  There are no guarantees in life; however, I am trying to cover as many of the bases as I can think of.  And I invite you to share your experiences; we can only benefit from others’ stories.

I also made a decision to review my will, etc. in five years unless a life changing situation occurs earlier.

All the paperwork is not only for taking care of my family after my death, it is also for taking care of them if I become incapacitated.   Too often, people forget about the latter situation.  So if you don’t have a will, financial and health care power of attorney, look into getting them.  There are plenty of online templates- just be sure you select one that will work in the state in which you live.  Or, better yet, find an attorney who specializes in estate planning.

Image: Ken_Mayer

No comments:

Post a Comment